Saturday, June 28, 2014

Daily Devotional - Give Space and Freedom


Two are better than one, because they have a good [more satisfying] reward for their labor; For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!
—Ecclesiastes 4:9–10
Some people are always trying to get us to conform to preset patterns, but there are those rare individuals who actually encourage individuality and nonconformity. We must spend time with people who accept and affirm us. One of the many things I have appreciated about my husband over the years is that he gives me space and even encourages me to be me. For example, I am a person who likes to spend time alone. When I need a few hours or even a few days to have my space, I can simply tell Dave that and he does not feel as though I am rejecting him. He understands that is just the way I am.
I recently counseled a woman who said her husband was driving her crazy because he would never give her even one hour alone. He wanted to be with her constantly. When she tried to explain that she needed space, he got offended and took her need as a personal rejection. To nurture healthy relationships, we must give people space and freedom.
Lord, help me to be able to communicate my personal needs to those I love without making them feel rejected. Give them understanding hearts that accept me for who I am and encourage me. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment