Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Daily Devotional - Hang On 'til Joy Comes!


Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. 
— Psalm 30:5
I gained an excellent piece of wisdom through personal experience: Do not be afraid of pain! As strange as it may seem, the more you dread and resist the pain of healing, the more you increase the effect that pain has upon you.
An example of this truth happened years ago when I went on a fast for the first time in my life. God called me to a twenty-eight-day juice fast. In the beginning, I went through some really hard times. I was very, very hungry. In fact, I was so famished that I was in actual pain. As I cried out to the Lord, complaining that I just could not stand it any longer, He answered me. Deep within me I heard the "still small voice" (1 Kings 19:12 KJV) of the Lord say to me, "Stop fighting the pain; let it do its work." From that time on, the fast was much easier, even enjoyable, because I knew that every time I felt discomfort, it was a sign of progress.
The rule is that the more pain is resisted, the stronger it becomes. When a pregnant woman goes into labor, the advice she is given by her attendants is, "Relax." They know that the more she fights the pain, the stronger it will become, and the longer the delivery process will take.
When you are experiencing pain, do not fight it. Allow it to accomplish its purpose. Remember this promise, They who sow in tears shall reap in joy and singing. (Psalm 126:5) Learn to endure whatever you need to, knowing that there is joy on the other side!


No comments:

Post a Comment