Monday, December 23, 2013

Daily Devotional - Learn to Receive


I will bless you [with abundant increase of favors] . . . and you will be a blessing [dispensing good to others].
—Genesis 12:2
Nothing frustrates me more than people who don't know how to accept gifts. It's a joy to express my love or appreciation to someone by giving them a gift I know they'll like. But if the response is "No, no, I can't accept that," or "Really, you shouldn't have," or "No, take it back," then that drains all the joy out of it. It becomes downright embarrassing if you have to force a gift on someone. You may even wonder if you should have offered the gift at all.
Receiving a gift graciously stems from inner security. Those who are uncomfortable getting gifts usually have some deep-seated insecurity that prevents them from accepting others' kindness. They feel so low that they can't imagine they deserve anything. Or they worry that the gift burdens them with reciprocation. They would rather reject the gesture than have to engage in a relationship.
In my life and work I have opportunities to give many gifts, and I also get some. When I do, I genuinely appreciate it and tell people so. Be a giver and expect God to bless you through others. When they do, say "thank you" and graciously receive their offers. The greatest gift that can be given is offered to each of use every day, yet few of us have the faith and self-esteem to accept it. God offers us His love. All we have to do is open our hearts and make the decision to receive it. Then we in turn get to pass it on to others.
Receiving God's love is an important step because we can't love others without it. We cannot give away what we do not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment